Saturday, January 25, 2014

What Will Teaching in the 21st Century be Like?

technology in classroom clipart

1. After watching the Mr.Dancealot movie, I learned that the central message of the video was that in order to have successful lessons, you must make sure you are teaching in ways that go together. In the video, the author made a case for that conclusion by showing that the teacher should have done demonstrations in front of the class and then had the class dance with him, rather than having them dance only for the final. I agree with this conclusion because you should be able to make sure your class materials all go together in a smooth fashion.

2. After watchingTeaching in the 21st Century by Kevin Roberts (John Strange version), I think that Roberts believes that teaching in the 21st century means to not only be there for your students, but to be able to shows them how to find things on their own. He thinks that teachers are not the only source for knowledge for their students and that teachers’ need to play a part in helping their students learn. He also believes that teaching in the 21st century means integrating technology into the classroom so that students have access to even more knowledge. I feel like Roberts is right about teaching because students really do need more than just a teacher with a book. I personally use more than my books to learn so this concept makes sense to me. I think this will affect me as educator in that I will have to learn to use technology and I will have to keep up with my students.

3. After watching The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler, I was shocked by how much the student was able to do on his own for a class. The way the video was set up, it really did make you wonder why the teacher was needed. I feel like the video had good ideas on the resources available to students and that students should be able to take advantage of those resources for their classes. I think that the video was right in its explanation of why the teacher was needed. The idea was that the teacher was there to give guidance in tough situations, and to teach the student the proper way to communicate, as well as to find good sources instead of bad ones. I like the idea behind this video because it seems like the students would be using more independent learning, however I also would want to be more involved if this were my class.

4. After watching the movie Harness Your Students’ Digital Smarts by Vicki Davis, I believe that the thesis of her video was that students can learn in classrooms using technology and that the teacher does not always have to be the only one teaching. I think this was a unique perspective on teaching because it showed me that I can have my students lead lessons for the class and that by connecting my student to other students around the world, that they can achieve more learning.

5. After watching the flipping the classroom video, I was inspired. Flipping a class room is new to me. I think the idea behind it is wonderful because it gives students the ability to have knowledge before class. I think that I would take advantage of this technique in my class because that way students have time to prepare and could re-watch the lessons as many times as they needed in order to succeed.

2 comments:

  1. The content is great! Your thoughts are clear and easy to understand. The white font on light green background is a little hard on the eyes. If you have time, consider changing one or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment that flipping the classroom "is wonderful because it gives students the ability to have knowledge before class" gave me a different perspective about the whole idea. I didn't think about flipping the classroom as something for the students to already have some knowledge. Obviously they would have some new knowledge from watching the videos. Your statement reminds me of when I go into a course thinking I am going to fail, and then I do great because I had a previous course to help build a knowledgeable foundation. I am so relieved when I can tell that a previous course is actually helping me succeed in the present course. So, I can see how flipping the classroom could be a great tool to build a foundation of knowledge and understanding in order for students to continue building while working in class.

    ReplyDelete